Friday, September 11, 2009

Notice the Cleat Wedges - Cycling News

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/photos/look-keo-2-max-white-pedals/87208

New Keo Pedals - this writer must be a Cleat Wedge fan.
Please folks - when you install the cleat wedges make sure the front edge is not sticking out front like you see in the photo in the link above. Wedges that stick out the front can bunch up and make it difficult to clip in. Wedges are not meant to be cut or trimmed just installed correctly.

Notice the new Keo pedal is wider. ummmmmmmmmm just like Shimano SL went wider a year or two ago.

So what does WIDER mean? Instead of the pedal wearing crooked or at an angle because most feet tilt (the older pedals were a little softer material), your tilted foot now will be even more misaligned because this will force the foot to be MORE FLAT and stay misaligned flat.

Bravo!!!!!!!!! Another pedal company not only ignoring the problem but making it worse. I gotta take my hat off to the lack of thought by both Shimano and Look for going with wider and stronger platform because the pedals wore from tilted feet but missing the actual problem.

Ignorance is truly bliss.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I just stumbled into your blog by googling varus/valgus wedges. I am running Eggbeater SLs on my road bike and up til now I have run cleat wedges to cant my foot to the outside. However, I would like to try to wedge my forefoot inside my shoe so that I can remove the cleat wedge which would allow the pedal to evenly contact the sole of my Diadora along with the actual engagement with the cleat. What are your thoughts on cleat wedges vs. foot or shoe wedges ? I like my Eggbeaters as they utilize a two hole cleat. I am able to get a two hole cleat farther back on my shoe than a 3 hole cleat. I shattered my right heel in an auto accident awhile back and I just don't have the strength in the calf and need the farther back cleat position to offset this weakness & loss of mobility.
    Thanks !

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wondered why Look or others don't offer special cleats with the tilt molded right in...I guess that wouldn't be good for your business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You thoughts seem reasonable. However depending on the number of wedges you are using you may not be able to accommodate as much inside the shoe as you can outside. You may find only enough room inside the shoe for one ITS wedge. So you could reduce one outside wedge for one ITS wedge. You can try two ITS wedges in one shoe but for many, a cycling shoe is a low volume shoe and may not offer enough room.
    If you would like to write us about your experience I will be glad to send you some ITS wedges at no charge. Call our office on Monday as we are currently at Interbike to make arrangements.

    A: One (1) Cleat Wedge at 1.0° = One (1) ITS Wedge at 1.5°
    WHY?
    Cycling shoes are RIGID systems. One (1) outside Cleat Wedge tilts the
    entire cycling shoe 1°. For cyclists with a tilted forefoot, tilting the shoe
    brings the base of the shoe closer to their NATURAL ANATOMICAL position.
    Feet are more FLEXIBLE than cycling shoes. One (1) ITS Wedge creates a
    1.5° varus angle inside the shoe. Due to the fl exible nature of the foot, the
    forefoot will absorb part of the varus canting of the ITS Wedge.
    Therefore, one (1) ITS Wedge is approximately the same correction as
    one(1) outside Cleat Wedge.


    a comment to Monty - I think I heard about a patent pending on this idea some time ago. Perhaps you will see something sooner than you think.

    Swifty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully you will see this comment and have a chance to respond, since the post is a few months old...
    I understand the point you are making about the pedals being wider, but if you correct for tilt with wedges is the wider platform then a desireable thing?

    ReplyDelete