Thursday, September 3, 2009

Leg length and a shorter crank..........would you?

"Have you ever heard of or personally used different length cranks with someone who has a leg length discrepancy? I had a patient ask me this and I couldn't remember if we ever talked about that. I know that we have the shims for leg length discrepancies, but was curious about the crank length idea. Seems like a HUGE change to make that might affect the rest of the body." -Physical Therapist in Oregon

Yes,I have heard of this. In fact, I tried it for a short period of time to address my own LLD. Personally, it is not for me. I am not saying the idea is bad but it is not a first choice or even a second or third choice of options to consider. However, how much leg length difference is there and where is the difference? What other issues are going on that you might want to consider for going this route? There may be some reasons this is an option to consider. Difficultly with flexion at the hip on the shorter leg could be one.

First Choice (NOTE: This is all sight unseen suggestions/ideas.)
alternate stacking of wedges - create a platform
and/or
A leg length shim(s)

Of course, what pedal system is being used? You can build up a 3 hole and 4 holes cleat more easily than a two hole cleat.

A second Option:Different pedals (one taller than the other) For example - Shimano SL Durace = lower platform vs Shimano Ultegra = taller platform. Note the difference is not a lot but it is something and depending on the situation you may be looking just about anywhere to get some help.

There are a few others as well.

Think about it and lets us know what you all think about this

-Swifty


PS – See Steve Hogg’s recent interview on www.BikeFit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment