Thursday, April 16, 2009

Saddles – Specialized vs Trek – battle of the giants

Sometimes being second is better than being first.

For example when I designed the LeMond RevMaster I was not first to design a spin type bike but I was able to see the problems of the first spin bikes and significantly improve on them. This is a case where being second was better than being first

Specialized saddles –
The first of the giants to push saddles and they did a pretty good job.

Enter Trek saddles
Here is Trek’s chance to improve on saddles. For this writer, having spent time on several Specialized and Trek saddles – Specialized does a much better job. So this is a case where being first was actually better.

Can you think of a case where second was better or was being first better? I am sure you can think of many.

I will be signing off for a few days but hope to return leaning and fitter than ever.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the Specialized saddles are primarily better than the Bontrager saddles, with one exception. I think the new women's specific Bontrager (the Bontrager inForm RL WSD Saddle - http://bontrager.com/model/07137/en) is better than the Specialized women's specific options...for me. The option of having a scoop out instead of a cut out was key in the comfort aspects of this saddle. This is the first WSD saddle that has ever worked for me (and I have tried many).

    ReplyDelete