Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Foot Length....more

Ok, I mentioned cleat stagger as a way to help with different foot lengths. I then heard from a friend of mine that I should have addressed the foot length, not with cleat stagger, but rather a leg length shim.

On one hand I agree, but I think it may be situational dependent. Look at the following photo from Atlanta when I was working with USAC Coach John Kelly. Now here is a SIGNIFICANT difference.
I believe we did add a leg length shim in this scenario to help. A cleat stagger alone would not be the answer.

In fact my mention of cleat stagger in the previous post even resulted in an insult that I was "Pruitting" this person. Perhaps I am guilty of some influences but I am not someone that easily buys into another school of thought. I really did come up with my own when it comes to bike fit.

The result of my original thoughts was something called "The Bicycle Fitting System" which was the second commercially available bike fitting system in the world. Fit Kit was the first.

When I began bike fit there were no classes for me to take; I simply put it together and tried to make sense of it. Being that I introduced the Cleat Wedges to Pruitt I was sort of jilted with the Priuttism comment. Pruitt has certainly contributed a lot to bike fit but I was doing cleat wedges and inside the shoe wedges long before he started purchasing them from me……and long before a company misnamed the In The Shoe Wedge a shim….

opppppps - I am getting off topic. Notice this difference in foot length is much greater in the photo than the difference we saw in Arkansas a few days ago.

Please keep an open mind with this scenario as leg length shims may also be the answer.

Happy Pedals

No comments:

Post a Comment