Monday, January 26, 2009

Arkansas' amazing experience

... once I arrived in Fayetteville at 11:00pm where the temperature was a balmy 26 degrees and dropping, it was time to rest-up for the next 2 days of training. Needless to say that watching Paul in action and his thinking process for each "outside the box" situation that was presented in each fit during the 2 days was just incredible; we saw drop shoulders, skogliosis, leg length discrepancy, strange pressure points on saddles, limited ROM in lower backs and much more.

I am now a convert to Speedplay pedals, sorry Look but our 24 year relationship is over. The simplicity to get them dialed in is just way too easy from a bike fitter's view.

As a rider I have heard in the past that people did experience "hot spots" under their feet when using Speedplay pedals, but the more I learn from fitting individuals, I can tell that those hot spots are caused not by the pedals but from improper foot/cleat/pedal interface. All of the subject being fitted suring this training required a change in the spindle length to achieve a perfect position on the bike, with 6 needing longer spindles on 1 or both pedals and 1 subject needing to go with shorter spindles.

Back to the fits ... as mentioned before every subject that was fitted presented our group with some challenges however everyone of them left a happy cyclist! The common underlying theme was too long of stems!!! If you are experiencing lower back pain or shoulder pain make sure to revisit your reach! If your hands do not gravitate to the hoods, revisit your reach! There are some great handlebars out there available in shorter reaches and shallower drops which should be considered when building up your new bike or upgrading your old bike.

Until next time ... ride in comfort!

1 comment:

  1. I found out during my fittings that the stems are way too long. 18 of the 20 fittings I have done required substantially shorter stems. I now have a bunch of 110,and 120 stems in my workshop.Wish they were 80's. When Paul fitted me in Auburn, we changed to a much shorter stem and increased th spindle length on my Speedplay(1/2"). Difference in comfort is amazing.Seems so logical, once you have fitted correctly.

    ReplyDelete