Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Not enough Cleat Wedge

Not long ago we talked about pedal wear and how to see if more wedges are needed. We mostly focused on Look style pedals because for that system you look more toward the pedal for signs of wear. Here is a Speedplay cleat with Cleat Wedges and yet it was not enough. How can you tell? Look at the wear mark which is shown more on the out side (lateral part) of the cleat. If the fit is even between the shoe/cleat/pedal you will not see uneven wear like this.
This foot clearly does not want to be flat and needed just one more Cleat Wedge. Note ITS (In The Shoe) wedges do not always help this situation. This foot was a great example to compare ITS vs Cleat Wedges. No matter how much ITS went inside this shoe the foot did not meet the pedal flat until we went with Cleat Wedges. If you are unsure which wedge to use your odds are significantly better if you use Cleat Wedges only.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,

    I have a question about cleat/pedal wear that I was hoping you could help me with. I know that both of my forefeet have varus tilt...and that is apparent in the wear on the outside of my right pedal, but the left pedal has more wear to the inside...is this because my foot is collapsing and is therefore wearing at the inside? Would I still need a varus wedge for this? Please let me know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    I have a question about cleat/pedal wear that I was hoping you could help me with. I know that both of my forefeet have varus tilt...and that is apparent in the wear on the outside of my right pedal, but the left pedal has more wear to the inside...is this because my foot is collapsing and is therefore wearing at the inside? Would I still need a varus wedge for this? Please let me know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course there are other things to consider.
    To make sure you can switch out that wedge with another (....take one from underneath it and place on top of it.)

    This might help eliminate the possibility of contamination – did some extra dirt or debris get in between the pedal and cleat and cause this.

    Does the way you clip in cause this wear….?

    I would start with getting measured with the FFMD http://www.bikefit.com/docs/FFMD.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  4. both feet have been measure and are "mild" varus. would varus wedges still be needed even though wear on the pedal indicates more on the inside which is not the norm for a varus tilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've recently started using speedplay x5's and after bike fit was told 1 cleat wedge in left and 2 cleat wedges in right.

    Both cleats are showing this wear pattern and I've also noticed left foot is dancing side to side when spinning at high revs. And I'm getting discomfort eaither side of lower patella tendon around bottom of left knee

    I've added 1 and 2 ITS in shoes but still seems to be dancing - is there any way to tell how many wedges I really need?

    Am I correct inthinking adding cleat wedges will have better chance of stopping this dancing?

    Cheers,

    A.

    PS: Do you have anyone in UK who could help me getthis right, if I can't manage on my own?

    ReplyDelete