Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Twice in two weeks – Sitting Side Saddle.

First, I did not come up with the idea for the solution we applied for this person – but it worked. Steve Hogg (Mr Proprioception) turned me on to this idea when one does not have the ability to feel the center of the saddle. And since I have now seen it twice in a short period of time I thought I would share the following.

Note the photo – sitting off center


We were struggling with alignment on this cyclist. If we address the leg/cleat/foot alignment sitting off center – would we really be helping him? In this case we needed to move ahead in the fit and get him sitting closer to center and then go back to the foundation (feet).

We did first try a Specialized BG saddle by itself because we often have good success getting people more centered with just using a BG saddle. I am not suggestion what you see in this photo is something Specialized supports or does not support. We at BikeFit did this on our own.


Yes this is meant to be temporary and used to help the cyclists know when they are sitting close to center.

FYI – In almost all education classes we offer, we like to show off equipment from other companies in which we have success with at BikeFit. When it comes to saddles no one else comes close to Specialized. Maybe one day what will change but as of right now…second place in saddles is a long way away.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I know we discussed this and I did use a smaller object to try to get the cyclist to sit centered on their bike; did you use a screw driver? I do see about 20% of the riders sitting way off center. How did the rider respond?

    ReplyDelete
  2. from my experience, this case of riders have their back shorted at the front and develop an clear escoliosis. That the main reason why the fall to one side. I dont belive that is a perception problem only. Something pulls from their side.
    I agree with Andrew that an important quantity of riders go "by side", and its related with their escoliosis.
    Jon Iriberri
    custom4.us

    ReplyDelete