Friday, May 28, 2010

Brain Power or Forgetfulness?

These past 2 days Kit and myself had the opportunity to fit a few riders/testers/editors for Rodale Publications. Since it is good to know the history of a rider's injuries we customarily ask about previous injuries, when they occurred and any effects of such injuries. What I find that is most amazing is that often people will remember some pretty bad/serious injuries during the fit or even at the end. This was the case just yesterday ... Half the way into the fit when Kit and I commented on some of the rider's scars he was quick to point out that we had not seen his best scar yet which was about a 20 inch long scar from his pelvic area to his rib cage.
"Wow, what happened there?"
"Well, I t-boned a car about 15 years ago"
"And what type of injuries did you sustain?"
"Well, I was in ICU for 5 days and a kidney and a few organs were repositioned or removed!"

... While we know that Steve Hogg will say that this will have a huge impact on a rider's position on the bike, we want to know what is the medical term about the brain's ability to block out the traumatic events of the past? Win a pair of BikeFit socks is you are the first person to submit the correct answer.


Andrew
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm going to Geek-out a bit on this one but I think I have the answer.
    I believe the general medical term you are looking for is Post-traumatic amnesia. But you may also be wanting a more definitive term such as retrograde amnesia in which a person will not have memory of the trauma or some events directly before the trauma.
    It could be you are looking for some other term but those are the ones that I am aware of for such things as a car accident or fall and such.
    Mike-

    ReplyDelete