Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Winter Training and Position

I just took a few days off to spend sometime in the mountains with my family. Of course the bike had to go along with us, even tough it was primarily a skiing vacation. Upon our arrival at Donner Summit, CA I asked my wife to take me down the mountain in so I could do a few hill repeats on the Donner Summit Pass before dinner. Once out of the warm van and into the below freezing temps I got on the bike and ... found out I needed to do an adjustment!



Winter riding gear is much thicker and denser than the clothing we use in spring/summer. This was really noticeable for me when I got on the bike and I felt that my legs were just a tad a little more extended than usual. I proceeded to lower my seat about 1.5-2mm to compensate for the thicker tights and layers I was wearing. Also, my reached had changed as well due to the thicker thermal gloves so I was not as extended, but just that 1 to 2mm of extra padding did make a noticeable difference, and sitting just a little more upright was much welcomed for the hill climb ahead.



Remember, when changing clothing and shoes make sure that your current position has not changed! Small changes can damped your ability to ride comfortably and risk a possible injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment